Looking for some feedback and ideas from the community on what I should focus on next with the server.
The server seems to be running smoothly now and the bug list is getting shorter. Exploits are fixed as far as I know, many of the people exploiting those exploits banned. Most of the features I've wanted to add are added. Happy with where the website is other than the slideshow on the home page...
So what do you guys think I should focus on next?
Hunger Games Arena? Got any bugs for me to fix? Features to add?
As usual the server could use more players... so any advice on how to improve that would also be nice.
Post by DevilsChurro on May 30, 2014 5:09:33 GMT -8
1. Well on the whole more members things, there's nothing much we could do other than maybe log in old CO and get some of our old friends interested in it. Another thing we could explore is more website promotion, this guide has some helpful tips on how to do that. But besides that, people will just stumble upon the site looking for a classic conquer feel.
2. Maybe work on balancing things like herc and glaive, its kinda cheap when people use them in gw, especially the really strong people cuz they just jump in, "SURPRISE MOFO" and kill everyone. The thing with glaive skill is the range it has, kind of ridiculous and with herc maybe nerf the dmg a bit?
3. Bring in the Mana BS, yes people will cry because they don't get PZN Blade, but PZN Blade is going to ruin PVP cuz people will just be spamming thunder to proc the PZN, whereas Mana BS is useful for lvling.
4. Add Gates to GW? You've probably considered that and there's probably a reason why they haven't been added, maybe I just haven't been here enough to hear it, however I think gates make GW more fun in this server. Usually in normal servers real gw is the last couple minutes, people fighting to get the pole. But here since its a question of who holds it for the longest, an all out war will be going on outside of gates with allies fighting together trying to defend each gate. That's part of why glaive skill is kind of lame, people just jump in gw shoot skill, everyone dies, and attack pole until the other water comes in, does the same thing and revs his allies. Rinse and repeat and you have our current gw.
5. Fix Team mode (dunno if this has been fixed, haven't tried to use it recently).
Well as far as increasing the player base. Saturn can't do it on his own guys. He has laid out a nice foundation and done amazing work with the server be we as the community need to come together and help him out some. Any social media sites you use Facebook/twitter/reddit/4chat etc. Occasionally make a post about the server with a link to the site. Encourage people to join in on the fun be ensuring them you will help them with any information or problems they may encounter when starting out. I believe one of the big issues is the screen resolution deal. (some people having to select a smaller text size) for the game to look proper. I remember seeing a fix for this on serenity's site. Make sure you direct them to this information if they encounter this problem.
As far as working on things. I haven't tested it in a while but if team mode isn't fixed I think that should rank high on the priorities. Hard to give it your best in GW when you are worried about killing an ally in the heat of battle.
The hunger games arena idea sounds awesome. I think that would be a lot of fun and get a lot of people off the sidelines for an event. The rules are simple and it would be a nice addition.
Not sure if possible to do but to see something done with weapon skills for weapons like hammer/hook etc. to make them a more desirable weapon choice would be great. Players who use 1 handed weapons are all mainly catered towards a club/blade club/sword club/club mentality. Which that's great they are fun to use but this could add some variety to the cookie cutter tro's and war's you see.
Lastly I just want to say thanks to those who have put in the work to make this server possible. I remember playing CO years ago and they where some of my fondest gaming memories. Nice to enjoy the nostalgia again. Once I am able I will be donating to support the server.
The main reason people played CO1 was the GW...that last 20 minutes with 100 people trying to kill the post was what made the week of levelling worth while...
Get the gates back....standing on the walls whilst people battered the gates was just funny.....
The four GW thing time zone just doesn't work....there's normally like 10 people who turn up for GW and its the same 10 each time....you end up sitting and chatting with mates from enemy guilds....
Move the GW to a different time every week so that people can maybe play 2 out of 4 weeks....
I really like the server but come a time when the char is maxxed then its going to be like WOW...sitting round waiting for the next expansion....the odd FB tourney is not going to keep everyone interested, you need toi make GW what it was.....look at those videos on YouTube and remember what it was like....
Also, war shield are consider weaps in their own right, but you cant soc like a weap, allow right handed soc at bird island, trojans are much easier to get full 2 soc on lol, and wars are pretty much non existent except for leveling.
Improvement with defense vs offense ratio, give defense warriors a real chance
I don't understand the fixation with daggers... they're a rather weak weapon (even the level 140 dagger does less damage than the 130 sword) with a rather weak skill (pene has 35% chance to do 240% dmg compared to nix's 78% chance to do 300% dmg) Adding a ranged dagger skill would be pointless, unless it was made OP... in which case it would be OP and unbalanced.
war shield are consider weaps in their own right, but you cant soc like a weap, allow right handed soc at bird island, trojans are much easier to get full 2 soc on lol, and wars are pretty much non existent except for leveling.
Shields are pieces of armor (equipment) not weapons, making shields able to be socketed in BI would only kill the value of a socketed shield. Warriors are underused for reasons outside of socketed shields being hard to get.
Post by DevilsChurro on Jun 3, 2014 8:48:49 GMT -8
Re-adding the gates with such a small amount of players attending would just lead to really one sided GWs (especially with the points system)
It's pretty boring as it is right now though, maybe more people would show up if the gates are implemented again. As it is now you only need a handful of people to break down the pole and a glaive user to kill off most of your enemies, so there's rarely any need for the whole guild to come. That combined with the way the reward that is distributed to everyone regardless of participation, isn't an incentive for people to go to gw.
First you fix the reward system by giving it all to the GL and/or DL so they can distribute it equally depending on involvement in GW, this is left for them to decide (of course this is a little risky because people might complain that they aren't getting a fair share for their efforts or a GL/DL might actually not give people what they deserve which can cause a rift and people to seperate more, however, I still think its a better alternative than what we have now, plus that would force the power to be spread out more since people might want more CPS for themselves so they make smaller, elite groups). After fixing the award system, this will be a major incentive for more people to come and then you add the gates back.
Personally I would want the gates back now, but I guess I see what you mean.
It's hard enough for people to keep track of when GW is when it's the same time every week.
Yeah I agree, I can't tell you for the life of me what time GW is right now >_>
The only other thing I got is get multi-paged WH's, but that's a really not important side thing since we have all the WH's at market.
EDIT: Another side thing, not too important either can be the addition of houses?